Recent research suggests that people from the north of India prefer top loading washing machines whereas people from the south of India prefer front loading ones (source). We already have an article discussing the best front loading washing machines in India and as we did not want the Northerners to feel left out, here’s an article discussing the best top loading washing machines in India as of 2019.
What makes a good top loading washing machine?
While creating this list, I wanted to set aside a criteria required for machines to be considered good. Here are some features that you will find in all the machines listed here:
- Spin speed around 800 RPM
- Must have steel drum (or other drum made of reliable sturdy material)
- Must have variety of wash programs for users needs, specially quick wash and delayed wash functions
- Technologies targeted at Indian users (hard water treatment, rat meshes etc.) get ranked higher
- Fuzzy Logic or automatic detection of water and detergent is desirable.
- In-build drying function gets ranked higher
- Noise level is taken into consideration
- Must be cost-effective, represent good value for money
- Atleast 6KG capacity, lower than that would not be ideal. To know more about the capacity you might need, check out our washing machine buying guide.
Here are the machines we consider the best top loading type in India:
Best Top Loading Washing Machine In India – 2019
1. Bosch 6.5 Kg Fully-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (WOE654W0IN)
We are a big fan of Bosch washing machines here at BestMachineReviews. This particular machine comes with all the features you could ask for. For me personally, my locality struggles with low water pressure and this machine can work with very low water pressure, so it was perfect for me. Other than that, the stainless steel drum, lint filter, automatic detection of water needed (fuzzy logic) etc. made it very easy to use. Bosch support is also usually better than other companies. Highly recommended.
by Bosch [Bosch]
Price: INR 18,499.00
2. LG 6.5 kg Semi-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (P7550R3FA)
I wasn’t sure if I should add semi-automatic machines on this list (you have to manually pour water into these), but I figured some people might want them. This machine is great for people on a limited budget. The build quality on this one is great and it really is a sturdy washing machine. Although it doesn’t have many wash programs you would find in higher priced ones (just has Gentle, normal and strong), the 1300 RPM is really good for fast wash and drying. It also has rat meshes to prevent rats from eating cables or laying babies in unused machine (happened to a friend).
by LG [LG]
Price: INR 12,150.00
3. LG 6.5 kg Inverter Fully-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (T7581NDDLG)
An innovative machine with a proven technology. You can expect low noise levels and pulsator technology on this LG washing machine. It is also said to consume low electricity because of inverter technology. I’ve know few people who own this machine and they are all very happy with it and admit this machine uses less electricity. LG, like Bosch, is also known to provide good after-sales service.
by LG [LG]
Price: INR 21,990.00
4. Samsung 6.2 kg Fully-Automatic Top load Washing Machine (WA62M4100HY/TL)
Pulsator machines work better for Indian conditions in my opinion. And this Samsung machine is one of the best-sellers in the top-loading pulsator style category. The diamond drum is an interesting technology, although the diamond design reduces the amount of clothes you can add in one go. So the 6.2 KG capacity would be closer to 5.8 or 5.9 KG. Samsung customer service also receives certain complains about installation. These are the reasons why I have not added this very good washing machine at the very top of the list.
by Samsung [Samsung]
Price: INR 15,900.00
5. Mitashi 7.8 Kg Fully-automatic Top-loading Washing Machine (MiFAWM78v20)
I imagine most Indian families being larger than 3-4 members and for them, the usual 6 KG capacity is not enough. So I looked for something with high capacity, 7.8 Kg (good enough for 5-6 people), and found this amazing Gem. At it’s current price and features, this machine is a steal. While it has slightly lower RPM at 600 and makes a bit more noise than the elite machines linked above, I really like this machine for what it has to offer. The high capacity is great, it has automatic detection of clothes and auto-restart in case of power cut. The 4 wash programs keep things simple too. I highly recommend this washing machine if you are okay with the minor short-comings.
by Mitashi [Mitashi]
Price: INR 22,990.00
Washing Machine FAQ:
#1 – How to select/choose a washing machine?
There is a wide variety of washing machines that have the advantages you always wanted, but some disadvantages that you never thought of. Choosing a washing machine is determined by their features, your budget and home space.
- The size of the washing machine: Firstly, imagine where you will put the washing machine. If you are living in an apartment, most likely the space is limited by other appliances ( living in a house is a true advantage when it comes to making space ). Secondly, think about how many people are living in that apartment or house. If you are more than 5 family members, you will need a washing machine that has more capacity for laundry ( e.g. up to 12 kg ). But if you are single or just a teen couple, you can try an economic washing machine, which it is smaller than others and it doesn’t use so much electricity and water.
- Front load or top load: A front load washing machine is a good choice if you have enough space for opening the door. They are usually more expensive than a top load machine due to the way and the quality of working. A top load washing machine is better for tight spaces. But, sometimes, this kind can have some problems about the way is washing the laundry.
- Look up for a washing-dryer: A washing-dryer machine is a way of having two appliances in one ( it is good when you don’t have enough space for both). It can be pricier than a normal washing machine, but, at least, does two jobs.
- Check the washer cycles: New washing machines has many washer cycles settings than the old ones. Think about your clothes and their needs of washing. Some shirts can not be washed in the same way a leotard is washed. Look for a washing machine that has up to 10 settings of washer cycles.
- Energy Efficiency: Imagine how much energy you use in a day if you are not an all-day worker. Usually, high-efficiency washing machines are extending even the life of your clothes, not only the life of your money.
#2 – How to clean a washing machine?
From time to time, even a washing machine needs some cleaning. It makes them work properly, just like the first time you bought it. And it also makes their life longer.
Usually, you have to clean your washing machine twice per year. And there’s no exception.
- Firstly, put up to 3 liters of hot water. Some of the newest machines has a special setting of filling themselves with hot water, but putting by yourself is much more secure.
- Add a quart of bleach. Surely, you use the bleach for white clothes, but it is also good for cleaning the interior of the washing machine. If you don’t use bleach for your laundry, you can change it with vinegar. Vinegar is well-known for cleaning a lot of things ( you can use it for any home appliances ).
- Choose a 30 minutes washer cycle.
- After the cycle is finished, you have to clean the rubber seal on the door and the dispenser. It’s good if you use a sponge for cleaning those. Make sure they are free of hair and other debris.
#3 – How to descale a washing machine?
The limestone inside of washing machines is as bad as a caries lesion and it has to be removed quickly. It usually starts to grow inside of the tubes of the machine. But it’s easy to get rid of it, almost the same as cleaning the washing machine.
- Fill the washing machine with hot water.
- Instead of bleach, use baking sod ( not too much because you don’t want to cook bread inside of your washing machine.
- Choose a 30 minutes washer cycle.
- After the cycle is finished, clean what remains inside.
- Fill the machine again with hot water.
- Use white vinegar this time and let it run for another 30 minutes.
- It is better to use home items than buy a commercial lime descaler. Because not every product can suits to your machine.
#4 – How to drain water from a washing machine?
This is mostly a problem for a mechanic because people are too busy draining the water. It takes a lot of patience, that’s sure. But it can be as easy as eating an apple.
- Find the opening instructions in your user manual. Even if you are doing this for the third time, always have the user manual beside you. This will help you open the washing machine without getting in trouble.
- Look for the service panel of your washing machine. It is usually located at the back or at the bottom side of the machine.
- Locate the drainage point and open it too. Disconnect almost everything you see inside – the filter, the tray and the pipe, out of the chamber.
- Use a bucket for the falling water.
Keep in mind that you have to pay a lot of attention. Even on the bucket. If it fills quickly, you have to change it with another one.
#5 – How to dry clothes in a washing machine?
If you don’t own a dryer or a washer-dryer ( two in one ), you can dry the clothes in a normal washing machine. Of course, they will not be 100% dried, but surely they will not need too much time to be hanged on a wire. When you use any one hour and almost a half cycle, it’s better to let your laundry inside after the cycle it’s finished. Don’t take them out immediately the washing is done.
Because of the steam and the heat made by the hot water, the inside of your washing machine will remain warm. Once you open the machine’s door, heat goes quickly out and there’s no point of keeping the clothes in. You can let them like that for no longer than one hour.
After one hour, you can hang them on a wire and let them like that for 30 minutes. I’m sure they will be ready.
The best top loading washing machine in India will probably be a personal choice, my list compiles the washing machines that meet my criteria at a reasonable price.
What do you think of this list? Have you purchased any of the machines or know someone who has? Do share your views and let me know if this article helped.