Recent research suggests that people from the north of India prefer top loading washing machines whereas people from the south of India prefer front loading ones (source). We already have an article discussing the best front loading washing machines in India and as we did not want the Northerners to feel left out, here’s an article discussing the best top loading washing machines in India as of 2019.
What makes a good top loading washing machine?
While creating this list, I wanted to set aside a criteria required for machines to be considered good. Here are some features that you will find in all the machines listed here:
- Spin speed around 800 RPM
- Must have steel drum (or other drum made of reliable sturdy material)
- Must have variety of wash programs for users needs, specially quick wash and delayed wash functions
- Technologies targeted at Indian users (hard water treatment, rat meshes etc.) get ranked higher
- Fuzzy Logic or automatic detection of water and detergent is desirable.
- In-build drying function gets ranked higher
- Noise level is taken into consideration
- Must be cost-effective, represent good value for money
- Atleast 6KG capacity, lower than that would not be ideal. To know more about the capacity you might need, check out our washing machine buying guide.
Here are the machines we consider the best top loading type in India:
1. Bosch 6.5 Kg Fully-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (WOE654W0IN)
We are a big fan of Bosch washing machines here at BestMachineReviews. This particular machine comes with all the features you could ask for. For me personally, my locality struggles with low water pressure and this machine can work with very low water pressure, so it was perfect for me. Other than that, the stainless steel drum, lint filter, automatic detection of water needed (fuzzy logic) etc. made it very easy to use. Bosch support is also usually better than other companies. Highly recommended.
by Bosch [Bosch]
Price: INR 17,050.00
2. LG 6.5 kg Semi-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (P7550R3FA)
I wasn’t sure if I should add semi-automatic machines on this list (you have to manually pour water into these), but I figured some people might want them. This machine if great for people on a limited budget. The build quality on this one is great and it really is a sturdy washing machine. Although it doesn’t have many wash programs you would find in higher priced ones (just has Gentle, normal and strong), the 1300 RPM is really good for fast wash and drying. It also rat meshes to prevent rats from eating cables or laying babies in unused machine (happened to a friend).
by LG [LG]
Price: INR 12,390.00
3. LG 6.5 kg Inverter Fully-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine (T7581NDDLG)
An innovative machine with a proven technology. You can expect low noise levels and pulsator technology on this LG washing machine. It is also said to consume low electricity because of inverter technology. I’ve asked people who own this machine and they are all very happy it and admit this machine uses less electricity. LG, like Bosch, is also known to provide good after-sales service.
by LG [LG]
Price: INR 21,990.00
4. Samsung 6.2 kg Fully-Automatic Top load Washing Machine (WA62M4100HY/TL)
Pulsator machines work better for Indian conditions in my opinion. And this Samsung machine is one of the best-sellers in the top-loading pulsator style category. The diamond drum is an interesting technology, although the diamond design reduces the amount of clothes you can add in one go. So the 6.2 KG capacity would be closer to 5.8 or 5.9 KG. Samsung customer service also receives certain complains about installation. These are the reasons why I have not added this very good washing machine at the very top of the list.
by Samsung [Samsung]
Price: INR 15,900.00
5. Mitashi 7.8 Kg Fully-automatic Top-loading Washing Machine (MiFAWM78v20)
I imagine most Indian families being larger than 3-4 members and for them, the usual 6 KG capacity is not enough. So I looked for something with high capacity, 7.8 Kg (good enough for 5-6 people), and found this amazing Gem. At it’s current price and features, this machine is a steal. While it has slightly lower RPM at 600 and makes a bit more noise than the elite machines linked above, I really like this machine for what it has to offer. The high capacity is great, it has automatic detection of clothes and auto-restart in case of power cut. The 4 wash programs keep thins simple too. I highly recommend this washing machine if you are okay with the minor short-comings.
by Mitashi [Mitashi]
Price: INR 22,990.00
The best top loading washing machine in India will probably be a personal choice, my list compiles the washing machines that meet my criteria at a reasonable price.
What do you think of this list? Have you purchased any of the machines or know someone who has? Do share your views and let me know if this article helped.